WordPress SEO Cheat Sheet | 10 SEO WP Tips
To improve your WordPress SEO and your SERPs there are some useful SEO techniques which are presented below.
1. Install WordPress CMS
– Choose a domain name for your site. Try to find aged domain name (more than 2 years old which will rank better!) with your desired keyword in it. This is the best option for the Search Engines and SERPs.
– Install WordPress. Read this article if you do not know how to do it.
2. Choose the best theme for your project
– If it is possible, buy a premium WP theme. Premium WordPress themes have clean code, nice and professional design and most of them are already SEO optimized. I highly recommend: ThemeForest and ElegantThemes for your web projects (search the web for them).
– DO NOT use WP sites downloaded from suspicious sources such as torrent sites. One of every 4 themes has malware, trojan or malicious code inside. Unless you are very adventurous person and you want to learn more about hacking. Better pay $10 to $45 for your assuagement!
3. Optimize WP theme’s body
– Inspect the source code of your theme. Make sure it is well structured.
– Remove the link in the footer leading to the theme’s developer site.
4. Optimize your URL structure
– Optimize your URL structure by activating permalinks properties in the Dashboard Settings.
– Don’t include your category’s name in the URL . Make it unique with your keywords inside!
– If you want to get to the Google News, you can use numbers – such as post date in the URL structure.
– Try to make your URL short and clean – do not include a lot of folders/directories.
5. Install ‘MUST HAVE’ WordPress plugins
– W3 Total Cache – Improves the speed and user experience of your site.
– WP-DBManager – Manages your WP database. You can optimize, repair, backup, restore and delete backup database , drop/empty tables.
– Social plugin for sharing your posts on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and other social networks.
6. Add a sitemap for your WordPress site
– In your Google Web Master Tools account add your sitemap generated by a plugin (Yoast’s WP SEO or Google XML Sitemaps).
7. Track your site’s performance and improve it
– Install Google Analytics to track your performance! You can also install Android or iOS app to track it on your mobile device. You can read this article to learn more about this topic.
8. Use robots.txt for your site
– You can tell the search engine spiders (robots) not to index certain pages/posts/files. Create a .txt file and name it robots.txt. Put it in your root directory by using FTP software.
– Your robots.txt might look like this:
– If you are using flash files, you might also use the disallow function for your .swf files.
9. Secure your site
– Use the proper .htaccess file for your web-site and use security plugin(s) for the protection of your site. Read this useful lesson about WordPress CMS security issues and choose the best security plugin for your site
10. Ping your newly created posts to increase their indexing
In the WordPress Dashboard go to Settings >> Writing and in the “Update Services” you will find the field for the submission of new Ping Services (you can put unlimited number of pinging services). This way you will improve the indexing of your newly created posts/articles!
Get for FREE our private PING LIST
Once everything is done you are ready to boost your Search Engine Rank Positions! Enjoy this WordPress SEO Cheat Sheet and use it for your web projects!
watch our WordPress video series dedicated to this great blogging platform! Click here to watch!