Here is one info-graphic from Ben Norman where you can see his suggestions regarding on page SEO and off page SEO in 2013
Search Engine Optimization has changed over the last years. For those who are looking for a little advice on their campaigns, here’s a look at what to avoid, what you need to know and what tactics you should be implementing during 2013.
OUT-OF-DATE-SEO TACTICS TO AVOID
- Link Schemes
- Hidden Text Behind Images & Backgrounds
- Keyword Stuffing
- Blog Spinning
- Article Submissions
- Duplicate Sites [This won’t double your rankings.]
- Spammy Blog Comments
- Linking to Google for Strength Purposes
- Doorway Pages
THE ANIMALS OF SEO
Google always update and change their algorithm to prevent people gaming their system, most recently with animal themed updates. Which animals are head of the pack for modern-day SEO?
PENGUIN – LINKS UPDATE
Targeting webspam introduced to punish sites with poor quality links.
To avoid being penalized by Google:
- Links should not be excessive
- Links should be natural
- Links should not be paid for
- Links should not be reciprocal
- Links should come from a variety of domains
PANDA – CONTENT UPDATE
Targeting webpages introduced to punish sites which use poor quality duplicated or very little content.
To avoid being penalized by Google:
- Content should be of a decent standard
- Content should be unique
- Content should be on all of the main pages you want to rank for
- Content should not scraped or spun
What’s Next? What will the next Google algorithm update be called? Rumor has it that the Zebra is on its way; but what could this potentially target?
- Spammy social media activity?
- Fake social profiles?
- Social bookmarking?
- Fake followers?
Only time will tell firstly, what the Google update will be called and secondly, what it will target.
GOOGLE UPDATE 2012
April 24, 2012 Google reveal the webspam update, Penguin.
- Penguin 1.1 (#2) – May 25, 2012
- Panda #20 – Sep 27, 2012
- Penguin #3 – Oct 5, 2012 Impacted 0.3% of queries (*4)
- Page layout #2 – Oct 9, 2012 Targeting sites with excessive ads.
- Panda #21 – Nov 5, 2012 Initially affected 1.1% of English queries (*3)
- Panda #22 – Nov 21, 2012
- Panda #23 – Dec 21, 2012 Impacted 1.3% of English results (*2)
2013 NEWER TACTICS – THE BIG PLAYERS
As the SEO landscape evolves, what are the main areas to focus on in 2013.
SOCIAL SIGNALS (FACEBOOK, GOOGLE +, TWITTER)
Shares / Tweets/ Retweets/ Mentions/ +1’s/ Likes/ Followers/ Comments/ Customer Engagement
AUTHOR RANK / REL=AUTHOR
- Writer’s avatar displayed alongside search results
- Trust indicator for Google users
- Credibility of author for ranking purposes
- Linked to your Google + Profile
- Verified author will going more authority
You can read this forum post to learn how to gain more trust from Google and add image next to your link results.
- High – quality content
- Sustainable content strategies
- Generating inbound links and encouraging social interaction via: Guest blogging/ Infographics/
- Whitepapers/ Videos/ PR mentions/ Blog posts
- User – friendly URLs – relevant and simple theme throughout your site
- Robots.txt file in place
- Include image Alt Tags
- Compelling Meta descriptions – 150 – 160 characters, no duplication, correct spelling
- Implement 301 & 302 redirects where necessary
- Remove site – wide links
- Check the site speed
- Title Tags – 70 characters maximum, not keyword stuffed
- Submit Sitemap.xml to the search engines
- H1 % H2 tags added
NAVIGATION AND USABILITY
- Are images viewable?
- Do videos display properly?
- Correct formatting in different browsers.
- Are links clickable?
- Do links click through to the relevant page?
- Check for duplicated content
- Correct grammar and spelling
- Ensure text starts above the fold
- Do all pages convey the right message?
- Do you need more content written for additional pages?
- Avoid excessive use of ads on each page
LINK BUILDING OR PR – WHAT’S THE SCORE?
Links are relevant, but they need to be from strong worthwhile sources. This in where PR comes into the SEO equation. So, seek your links through:
- Blogger and author outreach
- Creating great, engaging and insightful content
- Promotion on relevant and targeted sites
- PR opportunities
- Speaking opportunities, conferences – the results afterwards will be rewarding!
Ben Norman is a leading UK SEO Consultant and has extensive knowledge of search engine marketing. A regular writer on the subject, Ben’s first book, ‘Getting Noticed on Google’ along with the second revised edition has in excess of 50,000 copies. A third edition, ‘Get to No.1 on Google in Easy Steps’ is now available which is packed with useful information for those looking to learn SEO.
Join the discussion about SEO in 2013 on our Forum – CLICK HERE NOW!
Learn more SEO tips by watching our SEO video lessons.