After some recent search engine updates (Panda, Penguin) the process of optimizing your newly created pages is crucial! That is why it is essential to follow some rules whenever you are creating a new article for your web site. First of all, remember – every inner page of your web site is very important in the eyes of the search engines. The bots will crawl your page and will try to figure out whether the page is important for the users. Before you even sit down and start to write a particular article it is very important to make some research.
Go to Google Keyword Tools (but first log in into your Gmail account to get more accurate results) and type your keyword – see whether the competition is Low or Medium and see how many people are searching for this exact term! In the Match Type option on the left don’t forget to choose [Exact], not Broad or “Phrase” – thus you will see how many people exactly are searching for your desired key-phrase. If you have a lot of people searching for this word and the competition is Low or Medium then GO and write this article!
Don’t try be sneaky and “Copy-Paste” some article from a different source! It won’t work! The search engines are trying to find 100% unique content. Make your research, find some materials and write an article (at least 550 words). Find some images related to it – users love visual information. After you have written your article it is time for the On page SEO! :-)
How to optimize your page in 10 easy steps:
1. Create good title for your article with 1 or 2 keywords in it. For example if you are writing and article about on page SEO your article’s title can be: “How to optimize your article and content – crucial on page SEO tutorial”
2. If you are using WordPress CMS make sure that in the Settings >> Permalinks you have put “Custom Structure” – something like category/%postname%.html. Do not leave it as it is! The ?p=123 (or similar) structure is REALLY BAD for your future and present SEO efforts! If your CMS is Joomla install sh404sef component for the same reason!
3. Create nice and simple Title and Description Meta Tag. Most search engines use a maximum of 60 chars for the Title and a maximum of 160 chars for the Description Meta Tag. Add some tags related to your article – but don’t put more than five. And what about the keywords? Personally I do not use them, neither do the search engines.
4. Now about the article. It MUST be unique and related to your site’s topic and niche. If your site is about web design don’t write articles about gambling! This will confuse the searching bots and will lower your web site’s reputation and SERPs!
5. Use h1, h2, h3, and h4 elements for your article(s). Put your keywords there. This will help the bots find out the main idea of your article. You know what the game chess right? There are many characters there – the King, the Queen, etc. and every character has its own power. Imagine that your article is a chess board! H1 is the King – use it to tell the bots what is your article about. H2 is the Queen and so on…
6. Use “strong”, “I” and “U” tags for your article. Put your keywords in them to emphasize their importance!
7. Don’t be lazy when it comes to images! Go and find some! Add them in your article and add your keywords in the “alt” tag. This will bring more attention to your visitors and will help with your SEO!
8. At the end you may put some links to some other inner pages of your web site. Usually I use 3 article related to my article and interlink them. This will bring more diversity and the user will find reliable and related to the article additional information. Something very important! If you are linking to another page – make sure to use rel=”nofollow” and target=”_blank” inside the link. This way you will not pass link juice and the visitor will stay on your page!
9. Here is one trick (although it might be optional). You can use your main keyword as an anchor text and link it to the same page you are on. Here is an example. Let’s say you are writing about Euro 2012 and your main keyword is “euro 2012 results”. Let’s say your URL is http://yoursite.com/the-results-of-euro-2012.html. You have written one interesting article about the results of this football event. Somewhere in the article put the keyword “euro 2012 results” and link it to the http://yoursite.com/the-results-of-euro-2012.html (your site). As a result you will have the keyword pointing to your site itself!
10. After the hard work is done you must reveal your creation to the the Internet world! This is a whole new world called Off Page SEO and we will discuss it later on!
Get for FREE Local SEO eBook (41 pages – 20.1 MB) and learn how to improve your SERPs on local sites:
At the end, create posts/articles as often as you can. In my opinion one article per day with your niche related topic (and keywords) is a MUST to get Google’s love! :-) Here is what Google thinks about the freshness of your web site.
Click HERE to download and watch our educational SEO videos.